craftleft.gif (3002 bytes)QuickTable
Home | API | Tutorial | Download | Support | Contact topblack.gif (108 bytes)

QuickTable User Cp  |  Register  |  Members  |  Search  |  Help
    |- QuickTable Discussion Forums > QuickTable Installation Issues Post New Topic   Post A Reply
Eclipse IDE hangs using DBTable and GUI builder printer friendly version
next newest post | next oldest post
Author Messages
Ernie Rael
Unregistered
Edit or delete this message Reply w/Quote
Posted Tuesday, December 13, 2005 @ 21:33:52  

quicktable2swing11design.jar
With Eclipse 3.1.1 running under jdk-1.5.0_05.
Using either VisualEditor 1.1.0, an eclipse plugin, or jigloo-3.8.0 from http://www.cloudgarden.com/jigloo/.
The steps to reproduce are similar with either GUI builder.

Using either GUI builder,
create a new swing application,
(add JPanel to jigloo default app)
add DBTable to jpanel,
mess around with the DBTable, the IDE will soon hang, with the hourglass cursor.

The CPU is not spinning. I tried running eclipse from a command.com, and saw no output.

Interestingly, after several minutes it comes back.

-ernie

PS. I have not used java for over 5 years, but I remember that I could start up gui apps from a Windows console, and type some key combo and I would get stack traces for threads. Reminiscent of Ctrl-\ in unix. Found it, Ctrl-Brk, too bad it didn't work. I'm guessing it didn't work because eclipse uses a launcher program. I am willing to gather more info, if you can tell me what you'd like.

Admin
Board Owner

Click here to see the profile for Admin Send email to Admin Send private message to Admin Find more posts by Admin Edit or delete this message Reply w/Quote
Posted Wednesday, December 14, 2005 @ 06:38:20  

QuickTable has been successfully used on other IDEs like JBuilder, Netbeans etc. Users have not complained about it.

If you could provide a Threaddump, I can have a look at it.

Jonathan Kinnersley
Unregistered
Posted Friday, December 23, 2005 @ 02:16:22  

The problem seems to arise from the fact that when a DBTable is removed from a container (Container.remove(Component) ) it calls dispose() on it's parent Window (via removeNotify:line 7028 which calls cleanup():line 7067).

This is *not* good, since the parent Window is used by Jigloo.

So, I'm curious, why does DBTable feel it's necessary to dispose the parent frame when it is removed from a container, and is there a way to stop it from doing that?

Thanks.

Jonathan Kinnersley
Unregistered
Posted Friday, December 23, 2005 @ 13:33:09  

I was wrong about DBTable disposing the parent JFrame - looks like it's a JFrame created by DBTable, so it's a different problem from the one I initially thought. But it is freezing in the JFrame's dispose method, and I need to figure out how Jigloo can get round it...
Jonathan Kinnersley
Unregistered
Posted Friday, December 23, 2005 @ 17:27:35  

OK, I think I have fixed the problems with Jigloo and DBTable - I'll release a new version soon.

However, one thing that could be a serious problem is the fact that DBTable pops up a Dialog window when it's refresh method is called. Since the Dialog is a Swing window, and Eclipse is SWT, the dialog will most likely be hidden behind Eclipse and will lead to an apparent "freezing" of eclipse until eclipse is minimized and the "OK" button clicked on the dialog.

It would be nice if the version of DBTable in the "design" jar did *not* pop up this window, which would get around the above problem.

Any chance of that happening?

Which leads me to wonder what is the difference between the DBTables in the quicktable2swing11.jar and the quicktable2swing11design.jar?

Admin
Board Owner

Click here to see the profile for Admin Send email to Admin Send private message to Admin Find more posts by Admin Edit or delete this message Reply w/Quote
Posted Sunday, December 25, 2005 @ 06:30:45  

Dialog popup happens only when the refresh() method is called. refresh() method is usually called only during runtime,not during design time, so it should not be a problem. Let me know why the refresh() method is called.

design jar includes the DBTable bean customizer, while the other jar should be used for runtime.

Contact Us | QuickTable - A Java DBGrid | Privacy Policy All times are GMT -5 Hours.
Welcome to QuickTable Forums, Guest!  
Login
Username :
Password :
In order to fully utilize the abilities of this board, you are required to register as a member. Registration is free, and allows you to do lots of things including turning on or off certain features of this board. Register now!